We're over the hill with "Ten Things" Part 4, filled with topical discussions, ruminations on why we love to cook and the people who inspire us, plus tastings and reviews of foods from near and far. The only way to really know what's here is to download and listen!
If you are a fan of what we're doing here and would like to help us continue covering the Ithaca dining scene and bringing you conversations with people in our regional food community, please consider making a donation by clicking on the DONATE button on our main page. And any time you want to get in touch or be part of a future episode, you may leave a comment on the blog, call our voicemail line anytime at 607-215-4392, or send an email to: feedback at eatingithaca dot com. Remember to follow us on Twitter for continuing updates throughout the week!
Click Play to Listen to Episode 40
Stuff we talked about in this episode:
- Dan Barber Op-Ed in NY Times
- NYTimes reports on late blight in the Northeast
- West Haven Farm CSA
- Sweetland Farm CSA
- Full text of H.R. 2749 via The Library of Congress
- Farm-to-Consumer Legal Defense Fund reaction to H.R. 2749
- Consumer Advocates reaction to H.R. 2749
- "Ratio: The Simple Codes Behind the Craft of Everyday Cooking"
By Michael Ruhlman
- Michael Ruhlman's blog
- "The Sweet Life in Paris"
by David Lebovitz
- David Lebovitz's blog
- "Julie and Julia: 365 Days, 524 Recipes, 1 Tiny Apartment Kitchen"
by Julie Powell
- "Cleaving: A Story of Marriage, Meat, and Obsession"
by Julie Powell
- "My Life in France"
by Julia Child
- "Mastering the Art of French Cooking"
by Julia Child
- Watch Julia Child on PBS.org
- "The French Chef with Julia Child" on DVD
- "Top Chef Masters" official website
- "Twin Peaks" on Wikipedia.org
- Twin Peaks: coffee [YouTube]
- Twin Peaks: donuts [YouTube]
- Mexican Coca-Cola on Slashfood.com
- Tom demonstrates triple-blind tasting on the Ithacork blog
- Terrell Owens' cereal "T.O.'s" on EatMeDaily.com
- Ithaca Ale House official website
- Five Guys Burgers and Fries
- 2009 New York State Fair: Aug. 27 - Sept. 7
- The Eat³ Campaign
- Free Ice Cream for Family Day at The History Center, Aug. 29th
I found your Mexican Coca-Cola evaluation quite insightful. I find a similar "real sugar" effect with other sodas. Surprisingly, the smell of HFCS soda seems OK, but when I taste them, there's a letdown. It's as though you have a bouquet of flowers, and in the case of HFCS, someone has stepped on it (leaving only a vague average of flavors).
Maybe it would take a sensory physiologist to uncover what's going on, but it appears the odor is the same, but the signals from the tongue in the HFCS case are interfering somehow. Sigh.
BTW, I passed by the Ithaca Shopping Plaza yesterday, and noticed a small, new, permit on the window where the construction is happening. It lists the owner as "Five Guys Burg. & Fries". QED? ;-)
Here's a new Cornell Dining collaboration that sounds as though it could be interesting:
Moosewood at Anabel Taylor. Has anyone tried it yet?
Another strong association between a show and a food/beverage - Tea, Earl Grey, Hot.
Post a Comment